Ukrainian community worldwide
According to the Article 12 of the Constitution of Ukraine, the State takes care of the national-cultural and language needs of Worldwide Ukrainians. The software of the national-cultural and language needs of Worldwide Ukrainians and protecting their rights as national minorities in other states is an integral part of Ukraine's foreign policy.
Among the countries where the Ukrainian communities are numerous there are:
- Canada – 1 209 085,
- the USA – 89 2992 (more than 1,5 million by unofficial statistics:),
- Russian Federation – 1,93 million (10 million by unofficial statistics),
- Brazil – 500 thousand,
- Kazakhstan – 333 thousand,
- Moldova – 477 thousand,
- Argentina – 250-300 thousand,
- Belarus – 159 thousand,
- Germany – 123,3 thousand,
- Uzbekistan – about 87 thousand,
- Romania – 51,7 thousand,
- Latvia – 45,69 thousand,
- Poland – 49 thousand,
- the UK – about 30 thousand by unofficial statistics,
- Azerbaijan – 29 thousand (not more than 15 thousand by unofficial statistics),
- Estonia – 22 thousand,
- France – about 30 thousand,
- Kyrgyzstan – 22,9 thousand,
- Turkmenistan – 23 thousand (not more than 14 thousand by unofficial statistics),
- Czech Republic – more than 22 thousand,
- Lithuania – 22 thousand,
- Serbia and Montenegro – more than 20 thousand,
- Australia – 38,8 thousand,
- Austria – about 12 thousand,
- Slovakia – 7,43 thousand,
- Paraguay – 10-12 thousand,
- Georgia – 7 thousand,
- Hungary – over 8 thousand,
- Bosnia and Herzegovina – about 5 thousand,
- Croatia – 4 thousand,
- Tajikistan – more than 3 thousand,
- Bulgaria – 1,8 thousand,
- Armenia – 1,6 thousand,
- Chili – about 1 thousand.
At the same time, a large number of Ukrainian citizens – representatives of the Ukrainian portion at the temporary labor migration, market are concentrated in Spain (86 thousand), Portugal (about 42 thousand), Greece (more than 32 thousand) and other countries.
The Ukrainian World Congress (UWC) is an authoritative international Ukrainian organization, which brings together non-governmental organizations of foreign Ukrainians from more than 30 countries.
There are also other International Ukrainian associations, organizations that reflect the interests of the Ukrainians living abroad they are: the European Congress of Ukraine, which represents Ukrainian communities in 23 countries (mostly in Central and Eastern Europe), the World Federation of Ukrainian Women Organizations as well as the World Federation of Ukrainian Lemko Associations.
In accordance with the Law of Ukraine «On Worldwide Ukrainians» the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine ensures cooperation with Worldwide Ukrainians and promotes the software of their national-cultural, educational and language needs, in particular within the framework of the budget program 1401110 «Financial support for the ensuring of the international positive image of Ukraine, the ensuring of the activities of the Ukrainian institute, measures to support relations with Worldwide Ukrainians».
The Article 9 of the Law of Ukraine «On Ukrainians Worldwide» defines the rights, freedoms and duties of Worldwide Ukrainians.
On the activities of the National Commission for matters concerning Ukrainians worldwide, which functions at the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine
The National Commission for matters concerning Ukrainians worldwide, which functions at the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine was created in accordance with the Article
2 of the Law of Ukraine «On Worldwide Ukrainians», the act of the Cabinet of Ministers
of Ukraine №1024 of August 10, 2004 and the act of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine №1531 of November 17, 2004.
The Commission consists of the representatives of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine, Administration of the President of Ukraine, Secretariat of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine, Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine, Ministry of Finance of Ukraine, Ministry of Culture of Ukraine, State Migration Service of Ukraine, State Border Service of Ukraine, State Committee for television and radio broadcasting of Ukraine, National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Ukrainian World Coordinating Council, Ukraine-World Society and members of the Parliament of Ukraine (upon their consent).
The Commission meetings are usually been held once a quarter in the premises of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine. The Commission mentioned is in charge of granting the legal status of Ukrainians living abroad upon the receipt of the corresponding Applications submitted to the said Commission via the embassies and consular offices of Ukraine or directly to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and its representative offices in Ukraine.
Following the Commission’s decisions, Ukrainians living abroad receive standard form certificates. The completion of the procedure requires a registration fee payment equivalent to $10 (amount of payment and its order was set by the act of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine №1531 of November 17, 2004).
On the procedure of acquiring and issuing the Certificate of Ukrainian living abroad
The procedure of acquiring and issuing the Certificate of Ukrainian living abroad is regulated by the Law of Ukraine On Ukrainians Worldwide; Act of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine №1531 of November 17, 2004 On Approving the Procedure of acquiring and issuing the Certificate of Ukrainian living abroad; Act of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine №1024 of August 10, 2004 On establishment of the National Commission for Worldwide Ukrainians’ Matters.
List of obligatory documents to acquire the Certificate of Ukrainian living abroad
1. APPLICATION FORM (filled in Ukrainian) stating the intention of a person to acquire the status of the Ukrainian living abroad. The applicant’s address and phone number should be provided along with the requested information.
2. Passport document or a valid ID (along with the copies of the documents enclosed).
3. Documents attesting Ukrainian ethnic origin or the fact that the person was born in Ukraine, with enclosed copies (birth certificate of the applicant or his/her relatives, documents certifying the applicant’s Ukrainian residence and in case of need, other documents).
The set of the documents might be extended by the petition lodged by any NGO of Ukrainians living abroad, to which the applicant is affiliated.
Documents delivered to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine by post, but which are not appropriately certified, will be deemed invalid and as those that cannot be submitted for consideration of the National Commission for Matters Concerning Ukrainians Worldwide.
4. Two color photos (3х4 cm).
5. Original receipt confirming the payment of the amount equivalent to 10 US dollars.
The fee for issuing the Certificate of Ukrainian living abroad shall be charged in the currency of the applicant’s residence country in the amount equivalent to 10 US dollars.
Details for the payment of the fee for issuing the Certificate of Ukrainian living abroad:
- Payee (beneficiary): THE STATE TREASURY SERVICE OF UKRAINE, Ukraine, 01601, Kyiv, 6 Bastionna str.);
- Treasury code: 37567646;
- Payee’s foreign currency account: 25133012855000;
- Payee’s bank (beneficiary bank): JSC «THE STATE EXPORT-IMPORT BANK OF UKRAINE», Kyiv, Ukraine);
Bank code: 322313
Drawing up a bank transfer order, a budget revenue classification code should be specified in the field «Purpose of payment», with the Ukrainian text of the purpose of payment written in Latin letters.
Department for Ukrainians worldwide and humanitarian cooperation
1 Mykhailivska Square, Kyiv, 01018, Ukraine
fax: (+38-044) 238 18 36
tel.: (+38-044) 238 15 37
Head of the Department for Ukrainians Worldwide and Humanitarian cooperation
Ms. Larysa Dir
tel.: (+38-044) 238 15 37
Division for Ukrainians worldwide
tel.: (+38-044) 238 18 51